Thursday, April 25, 2013

ramblings on the reno...countertops

So we have a plan for the kitchen reno...
more on that later...
I feel stuck at the countertops right now.

always in a southern state of mind

I've done a lot of due diligence,
going to tile stores and slab yards galore.





We've landed on Caesarstone...
two new colors to be exact -
Frosty Carrina and London Greyalways in a southern state of mind
Here's the London Grey in person...
always in a southern state of mind

here it is next to a white subway tile...

always in a southern state of mind

and next to a hand glazed crackled white subway tile...


always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

next to a Calcutta marble


always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

 and next to a white carrara
 in a herringbone pattern

always in a southern state of mind

went to one store and this was the only "white" comparable to marble they had...

always in a southern state of mind

 too gray for me

And at another store...
here's a slab of Cambria Torquay

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

 and finally in person
the frosty carina vs torquay vs London grey

always in a southern state of mind

 in person the frosty carrina has more of a white undertone
while to me
the London gray has more beige/tan undertones...
Here are the samples next to a board of marble backsplash ideas
and also with a white subway tile on top of them...
the London is bottom middle and the frosty is up and to the right.

always in a southern state of mind

Call me crazy but I want to see a slab before I commit
and I can't for the life of me find one here
since the colors are so new.
I've been watching this thread on the garden web
waiting for new pictures to be posted as people use them in their own homes
hoping it will help me decide one way or the other.
Feel free to leave your favorite in the comment section...

**UPDATE**
here are pictures after installation...


always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind



always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind





6 comments :

  1. what did you decide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're going with Caesarstone London Gray...I finally got to compare slabs of the London Gray and Frosty Carrina...the London Gray looked more like marble, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What backsplash did you use with the london Grey? I can't find anything I like (that I can afford). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're using plain white subway tile in a herringbone pattern (think chevron-like) with a gray grout to pull from the veining in the London gray...hope that makes sense. due to start first week of august and i'll definitely be posting pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! Going through the same issues choosing a countertop. I really, really wanted marble, but have come to my senses. I thought I was going to commit to Silestone Lyra, but when I saw a slab, the amount of squiggles looked too busy. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it. Yesterday I came across a sample of Ceasarstone London Grey and thought it looked most like natural marble. Plus, I believe London Grey comes in a honed finish. I would appreciate hearing your comments and possibly seeing a photo of the counters installed. Help! I have to make a decision in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary Ellen,

    I did a post today with pictures for you...hope it helps you make a decision :)

    http://alwaysinasouthernstateofmind.blogspot.com/2013/11/ramblings-on-renocountertops-revisited.html

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished