Thursday, March 13, 2014

favorite finds...hair care

So I'm trying to let my pixie hair cut grow out.
It is painful.
Not as in hurting but as in many a bad hair day.
Three new favorite finds though
have made the process more bearable lately.
 
I don't think its a secret that I dye my hair.
A lot.
As in every three weeks if possible.
I probably should pay for someone to do it for me
but if you get your hair colored at a salon
you will know why I don't.
$$$$$
Cha-ching.
It is crazy expensive.
At least at the salon I go to.
So I dye it myself.
And you know my eye sight is going
so if you see me
or at least the back of me
let me know if my roots are showing :)
In the meantime here's a new hair color kit
I'm digging right now...
 
 
 
Let me be honest.
When I first started mixing it up
I was irritated.
The bottle they give you to mix it in
is whack in my opinion.
 
Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Color- used this yesterday and so far it is the best box dye I've used. Great consistency for application, full coverage, and natural looking color for black hair. Doesn't give you the Betty Boop look.
It was messy and needs a package redesign if you ask me.
But that's the chemist in me talking.
Once I started applying it I became an instant fan.
There's no ammonia in it so it didn't burn tingle
like some hair colors do.
It seriously felt like a conditioning treatment.
So much so that I may have left it in for longer than normal.
Afterwards my hair felt unbelievably soft.
Big fan now.
Huge.
Now if I could only figure out how to get gumby arms
so as to get all the grays on the back of my head.
I know they're there
but if I cant reach them
or see them...
well, out of sight, out of mind.
Ha!
Hope the back of my head
looks as good as I think the front does :)
 
I've been coloring my hair for decades now.
I started graying in my teens.
Sad but true.
A few years ago
I started trying to use the best shampoo I could
in the hopes of making the color last longer.
I'm embarrassed to tell you how much my previous shampoo cost.
Think of a ridiculous amount.
Then multiply times two.
But I tell you what
I recently found these two products
that work
AND
are affordable.
Could there be anything better?
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
You can pick these two L'Oreal products up
at the grocery store for around six bucks each.
I actually look forward to shampooing my hair every day.
Not kidding.
I
AM.
HOOKED!
My hair feels so good and my scalp too.
I have some autoimmune issues with my skin
so I have to be careful of what I use.
Incredible is the only word I can think of.
Ok, and soothing.
Incredible and soothing.
 
You can't go wrong with any of three these if you ask me.
If you have any beauty favorites to share
please leave a comment.
I'm a product junkie you know. :)
 
 
 
 


5 comments :

  1. Hey Nancy! I too have been coloring my hair for years. I am a brunette but have blonde highlights in an attempt to blend some of my white hair. My husband says I try to confuse people...fine by me. I have had it done professionally and have done it myself. My hair grows fast too so I will touch up my roots in between salon visits. My stylist said I have done a good job matching the store bought to the color she mixes up. Since it's just the roots (mostly around my hairline and part) I really don't "hurt" what is done by her. My stylist also told me that I washed my hair too often. When I worked I washed it every morning but since I have been a stay at home mom I don't. I am a member of the dirty hair club! I wash it 2 or 3 times a week. Now I know you run and work out so that's different. If I do and get too sweaty I will wash it or use dry shampoo. I use Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo or Tresemme Fresh Start. Not washing everyday helps the color from fading and doesn't dry my hair/scalp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tery! thanks for the dry shampoo ideas. will look for those and try them. I can usually go one day without shampooing before my clean OCD chip goes bonkers :) maybe those will help :)

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean...I would have never thought I could go that long w/o washing my hair. My last baby did me in. He is now 4 and now I am use to it. I will admit I will never get use to showering with a shower cap on. I am going to try your recommendations. I like L'Oreal and have used their sulfate free line. They make one for color treated hair. It comes in a tube like Color Vibrance Shock Treatment.

      Delete
  2. One more point...it's easy for me to say its easy to not wash your hair so often. My hair is shoulder length and I can put it in a ponytail, messy bun whatever. I have had short hair and that growing out process is very hard. I have long bangs-think lower than my chin. For some reason I asked for them to be shorter - below my eyes- and it through me off! They are now back to my chin length. Not being able to tuck them behind my ears or stay back in a ponytail drove me crazy.
    Good luck growing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on the shampoo and conditioner. Will definitely try it out. I had to stop coloring my hair myself because I was making such a mess of my bathroom. I do however us the one for roots midway thru colorings.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished