Wednesday, March 5, 2014

ready, set, go

If already know me
you probably know that every year
I do a "40 bags in 40 days" project
as a part of Lent.
I first read about "40 bags in 40 days"
on the blog Clover Lane.
Great blog read by the way.
She has six kids -
 ranging from college age to still in the baby stage.
I know.
Take that in and digest it for a moment.
She is obviously a better woman than me.
:)
Her blog really spoke to me
when my youngest was just a babe,
not sleeping at all,
and I was seriously going nuts
{seriously!}
from sleep deprivation.
One day she posted about 40 bags...
and that closed the deal for me
{being OCD and all}.
Every year I look forward to it
and today's the day to start!
 
Here's what I do...start with a list


I know.
This year its all chevron.
Ha!
Its the little things that make me happy.
What can I say?
 
On your list write down
40 areas of your home
that are cluttered or unorganized.
It can be a drawer, a closet,
a whole room...you pick.
Or you might do like my friend Erin does,
just take a blank list and write down
the area you can do that day as time allows.
It doesn't matter,
just do it.
Once you have your list to keep track
then every day
grab a huge garbage bag
and cleaning supplies.
Your mission?
To hit one area from the list
keeping this in mind...
 
 

Here's what I do...
I take everything out of the space
I'm cleaning
 then I sort through it.
I consider each item
and whether it is a
keep, donate or trash...
Here's where I try to be brutal...
 
Keep = I use it often and I really need it.

Donate = I don't really use it but one day I might need it.
STOP right now!
Be brutal...if I haven't used it in a year
right then and there
do not hesitate...
immediately
 put it in the big black trash bag.
No going back in the bag,
no second thoughts.
It's GONE baby GONE!
Let it help someone else.
 

Trash = I haven't used &
nobody else can use it either
based on its condition.
Put it in the trash bag unless it can be recycled.
But it too is gone baby gone!
Good riddance.

Once I'm done with the designated area
I dust or clean the area
wiping down surfaces,
washing things as necessary...
then I take the bags of trash to the trash bin
and put the donate items in my car
so that I won't be tempted to go back through them.
I take them once a week
or the next time I'm out
by the nearest drop off point.
In my case I take them
to one of two church re-sale shops
that are close to our house.

So look around your house and make your list...
I'm making mine.
For more great tips on the 40 day challenge
check out clover lane.



3 comments :

  1. love this process - need to use it at my house. I have so many rooms that need to be gone through~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What a great idea. I think I am going to give this shot. This is so darn clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project. I donated a lot before the move.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished