Saturday, April 19, 2014

'house in the hood

I remember when I first started
to regularly visit Houston.
We were long distance dating.
On the weekends
we would drive around
and look at houses in the
different neighborhoods.
Dreaming of where we would live.
This was in the days when the hubs
drove a sweet little convertible
and we had free time galore
to drive around and dream.
 
When we would get to the 'hood
where we live now
he would always tell me
not to fall in love with anything
because we probably couldn't afford it.
Lucky for us
I choose to jump over obstacles. :)
His grandparents actually
 owned a little house
in our 'hood
that we would drive by
and he would lose himself
in his memories for a minute
until the neighbors peered out their windows
to see what we were up to
just sitting in front of the house.
I think they got used to us after a while.
Ha!
That house was knocked down
a couple of years ago.
That's what they do here.
Not complaining...just saying.
Some people rescue the old bungalows.
Some that are beyond repair
just get mowed down.
Progress.
I get it.
 
When my mother-in-law comes to visit
I still drive her down that street
and she tells me her own MIL
is laughing in heaven to know
how much homes go for now.
She says that back in the day
(as in the 1950s and 60's)
her in-laws bought their home for under 10k
and when they sold it for something like 26k
they thought they'd won the lottery.
I think my peeps have heard that story a million times
since that street is on one of our running routes.
Sorry if that's number one million and one
that you've heard that.
 
Anyway...we did the smartest thing
real estate wise.
We bought the worst house on the block
then spent the following five years
fixing it up.
Two kids later
and unknowingly pregnant
with our third
our neighbors came over one morning
to tell us they were moving.
They left and my husband turned to me
and said we are buying their house.
WHAT????
Long story short
we put our lovingly rehabbed house
on the market immediately.
It sold within three days.
I'm happy that its still standing
and a sweet young couple live in it
and most importantly take care of it.
 
Some old homes are worth saving.
Others maybe not so much.
Anyway...just trying to say that
progress is happening
and thankfully more times than not
what people build now
around here are pretty awesome.
They keep me stalking
my favorite online real estate site.
Every.
Single.
Day.
:)
Here's my favorite house
for sale in my 'hood this week.
No surprise it's sold pending.
 
 

I'm loving the dark trim in the windows.
I've been thinking about doing that above the kitchen sink.
 


You may notice some things not really styled
for these pics...like the junk in front of the door above.
Or the baby in its carrier below...
 

 
I guess they just knew this house would go quickly any way.
 
 
 
I guess they just took these shots with their iphone
 
 
because of these look like they edited them
with the iphone...don't you think?
 

 
not judging.
just saying...
 

 
not really a fan of industrial myself
but I found myself digging this light...
 

fireplace in the bedroom?
yes please.
 

 
 
 
and a little nook off to the side...
 



with an office en suite...
definitely!
 

 
I'm in love with this bathroom...
 

I bet the owners are super athletic
owing to the pull up bar across the closet door.
I hate pull ups
so seeing this made me
automatically impressed
with them.
Oh and the beautiful bath tub...swoon!
 



 
Love these headboards...
 
 
 
 
And this...
 
 
 
is exactly what I want to do for our guest apartment.
The little kitchen nook above?
Perfection.
I think this might even be better
than the master bedroom in the main house...
 

 
Am I right?
Lastly for the littlest of littles...
 


 
Makes me want a girl.
But we're not.
Seriously.
We're done.
And the final pic...
 

 
 I spy a little fountain behind the column.
 I could see many a wine night
happening out here.
Who's with me?
 
all images via the fantastic har.com

4 comments :

  1. Despite the bad iphone pics, that is a beautiful home! Love everything about it.
    Hope you have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you had a lovely Easter as well :)

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished