Friday, May 23, 2014

'house in the hood

Kind of.
Ok.
Not really.
But its in the deep south,
 a place near and dear to me,
but then you already knew that.
Its right outside of Savannah...
let's take a little tour, shall we?
 
With views like this who cares what the house is like.
But its good.
Just wait...
 
 
Seriously.
With these views who needs shelter?
I'll live under that little hut...


 
Inside is very cool and casual.
They had me at the glass fishing floats on the table.
 


From this picture alone
its hard to tell what "style" this house is...
the windows reminded me of
a steeple on a church...
the name escapes me but you know what I'm talking about.
Gosh, what is that word....
is it cupola?
Anyway
I found an exterior shot of this house
and its definitely not what I was thinking.
Its actually quite symmetrical
with a nice twist on a beach house.
I don't like to post exterior shots...
I'm paranoid about people getting stalked.
I know.
I have issues.
But the owner of this house I'm SURE has stalkers.
And yes.
I will lay off watching Nancy Grace before bedtime :)
 
Let's look inside shall we?
 

 
Love. That. Sink.
Reminds me of my grandmothers kitchen.
 
The master...
minimalist in a way but interesting with just enough...
 
 
The house is new
but inside reminds me of old beach homes
on Tybee Island
where I spent many a summer days...
 
 

 
to me it feels like a modern spin
on an old sugar (sand) shack from the 60's.
 


I love this kitchen.
Its not what I normally go for
but I truly am drawn to it.
Love the little paintings spread among the dishes...
 


As a chemist
I think this is my favorite though...
 

 
with all the glassware.
And don't even get me started on those doors
leading into what looks like a den.
Swoon!
Speaking of swoon -
get ready for this...
 
 
Seriously.
Could you just die?
Definitely reminds me of a church.
I spy a motorcycle back left.
Ha!
 
 
I need to mimic this gallery wall...

 
and the fireplace has the same shape as the windows.
Gotta love attention to details.

I saved the best for last.
This stenciled wall...

 
 
and yes -
this house does belong to John Mellencamp.
He stenciled the lyrics to his song "For the Children"
and sweetly describes how he meant it as a blessing for the house.
I like even more now.
Its on Daufuskie Island right outside Savannah.
Growing up I'd always heard he was born in Savannah
but moved to Indiana when he was young.
Not sure if that's true or not
but in any event he's always kept ties to Savannah.
He owns a beach house on Tybee as well
and a few years ago he
where he also happened to get baptized.
How cool is that?
If you don't mind can I lay another little Georgia tidbit on you?
You know.
Because my mind is full of useless trivia.
In the article in AD {see below}
he mentions that one of the posters in his home
was a gift from the actress Joanne Woodward
{also married to Paul Newman...
they are a classic couple aren't they?}.
John says {in my head he lets me call him John :)}
  it is one of his most treasured possessions.
Here's the trivia...
Joanne Woodward is a Georgia native
born in Thomasville, Georgia.
Woot woot.
And yes
 I am available
for parties
or I'll be your "phone a friend"
for trivia games :)
 Even kidding.
You can read more about this house 
The home was designed by Neil Gordon Architect
The sources can graciously be found here.
 
all images via Architectural Digest
 


1 comment :

  1. What a beautiful home! I have never been to Tybee Island but would love to and often look at real estate listing there. It seems like an "artsy" beach. I would also love to visit Cumberland Island.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished