Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day weekend in review

Hope you had a happy Mother's Day yesterday.
We spent the weekend in San Antonio.
The boys were in hog heaven swimming all day Saturday.
Yesterday they all slept until after seven.
Which, if you knew them, is a miracle.
It took them a few hours
for my husband to remind them
for them to remember
that it was indeed Mother's Day.
I waited all day for it to feel like "my" day.
Never happened.
I'm sure part of it was because we weren't home.
Then we were in the car for four hours.
Once we got home
we automatically went back into survival mode,
cleaning up, unpacking, and getting ready for school today.
At about seven last night I don't know what happened.
I guess I had a little pity party in my head
and I started crying.
I know.
I'm not right.
I guess I just thought I'd get a card
or a genuine "happy mothers day Mom!"
but yeah...that didn't happen.
Oh well.
Maybe next year.
 
So in the midst of my pity party
 I sat on the couch,
{another miracle I'm thankful for
because that too rarely happens}
and decided I'd rent a movie.
I chose "Philomena" starring Dame Judi Dench.
Its about a woman who has a baby out of wedlock
and without giving too much of the movie away
searches for him fifty years later.
I'm so glad I watched it because
it reminded me how lucky I am
to be a mom in the first place.
Having gone through infertility
I remember the longing I had for a child
and the long hard road we traveled to have one.
I watched the movie and bawled,
knowing that some people never get the chance.
 
 
 
 
Card or no card,
I'm a lucky girl.
And I'm thankful.
 


3 comments :

  1. I know all about pity parties!!! I positively loved Philomena. We have spent many a weekend at La Cantera. Did you stay there or the Hyatt. The Mr. and I love San Antonio. Even talked about retiring there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let me wish you a belated Happy Mother's Day! Sitting on the sofa, watching a movie without interruptions and knowing your children are safe and healthy is a great way to spend the day.
    I've been wanting to see Philomena, so thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have joined your pity party too. My husband who usually goes overboard with mother day gifts had to drive to NC at 5am. His 99 yr old grandmother has not been doing well and he was told he needed to get there. He drove 6 hours, spent 6 hours withe family and then 6 hours back home. Needless to say Mother's Day was the furthest thing from his mind. Like you said there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished