Saturday, July 12, 2014

Southern Living Idea House - Palmetto Bluff

 During our two week adventure visiting my peeps
back "home" in Savannah
we made a little side trip
to visit our dear friends who live in Palmetto Bluff.
We picked the perfect weekend too
since it coincided with the opening of
the new Southern Living Idea House.
Coincidence?
I think not.
I'm a planner what can I say. :)

We arrived Friday afternoon
and honestly I couldn't wait to see it.
Later that afternoon after some fishing
{one of my twins caught a little alligator on his line
which he thought was the coolest thing ever.
My husband and I not so much.}
 we jumped in the golf cart and went over
to look at the house...

 
 



 
Not sure if you can tell from this picture
but the house sits up a bit...
this is a rear view
 

and overlooks a lake
 


 
and its own little dock.
 

 
bottom right in the picture
is a little fire pit and a grill
both surrounded by Savannah gray brick.


Unique details everywhere
like the roof line...

 
I was chomping at the bit to go in.
But alas we had to wait so
 we drove to the Inn at Palmetto Bluff
 for their nightly smores around their fire pits...
 
 
 
 
Nothing says a little pick me up
better than chocolate and marshmallows
smashed between graham crackers.

 
I wont even tell you how many times
our kids went back to the smores bar...
one kid confessed to seven.
I finally pried them away
and we walked down to the dock
to take in this beautiful scene...
 










Yes.
I like clouds.
I'm sure my peeps back in Houston
were happy that I came back
and stopped texting pictures
of marsh scenes and clouds.
Two of my most favorite things.
And back to my other favorite thing...
Southern Living at its best...
get ready for eye candy overload...
 

 

 
I love this garage door.
Inside were promotional info
for all the sponsors
including a little magazine insert of sorts
with all the source details!
I grabbed some for studying.

 
Notice here the sliding barn doors leading from this little garage
{which will probably house a golf cart}
into a little porte-cochere
 

 
and another interesting detail
I thought anyway
was that the garage door swings outward
rather than roll up...


 
Love the haint blue ceiling and that light!

 
The little portcochere leads to a mudroom entrance...
more on that in a bit
but here's the main front door.
 

 
You enter and immediately see this...
 

 
Dying over this arrangement.
Gives me a great idea for the mirror in our family room
that has been puzzling me for a while.
 
 
My only negative thought about this house
is that if you go through the main door
you enter immediately into the dining room...
 
 
 
From this angle the front door is to your right.

 
and the opposite wall holds a large art piece
 
 
 
you can see the kitchen in the background
and here it is up close...
sorry for the bad lighting...



Ahhh, better now...
Notice the dark ceiling.
 


 
These pictures may dance around
because there were so many people here
that I was moving around trying to get clear shots.
I asked the volunteers in the beginning if it was ok
to take photos and they said as long as they are not professional.
I giggled and assured them I was not professional.
At.
All.
 
The living area...
not sure if you can tell
but there is a fireplace below the TV.
 
 
The door to the right leads into the master suite.
 
 
I should have looked behind the curtains
to see if they moved...kicking myself.

 
This is to the left of the tv area...
who needs tv when you have this view?

 
 

 
With two chandys above...
 
 
 
Back into the kitchen
{less people}
and a nice little bar set up on the counter
overlooking the back patio


 
 
 
 
How's this for open shelving?

 

 
and a close up for those interested in recreating this...
 
 
Now we're about to enter my favorite area
because this area would be MINE all mine
{a girl can dream cant she?}.
This is right off the kitchen
and leads into the laundry area
through the door on your far right.
The door to the left takes you into the mud room.
I know.
What's not to love about that?

 


Looking back...
 

 
 
 
An up close of the original art...

 
I'm sure you could do this with ribbon,
fabric, or even washi tape.
Putting that project on the list.
Here's the laundry.

 
 
the door above leads to the electrical.
 
Notice the subway tile on the wall.
Loves.



 
The opposite wall has shelves
and hidden storage in the cabinet.

 

 
I walked back in and noticed the wine fridge below.
That convinced me this room was built for me. :)

 
 
 
 
More love for an OCD girl like me...


Plenty of storage for everything in its place.
 
 

 

Oh how I want a barley twist table in my life.

 


Blurry picture
but wanted to show you how
you step down into the mud room.
The door you see leads outside
into the porte-cochere.

 
I keep saying porte cochere...
its liked a covered porch area
you can park a car here
plus there's covered storage
and another side that hides the a/c units.
 
 
Back inside...
 The floor.
Loves.
Limestone I think.
 
 
Notice the railroad tie looking stairs.

 
 
  
 
You step down and if you turn around
 
 
 
 
you see the little gathering room to the left
and the main family room to the right.
The lady in red is at the dining table.
Photobombing me :)
This mud room is off the chart.
 

 
Opposite this is the powder room.


 
 

 


 


 I love this little rack for purses and totes
and a little mirror to check yourself before going out.

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
I was not expecting to see my favorite quote
but there it was...
 
 
 
I went back through to the family room...
 




 


 
 

 

before heading into the master suite
which is where I'll pick up the tour again
but here's a little tease...
 
 
 
Stay tuned for the master and the upstairs.
Enjoy your Saturday!

 

 

10 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing your photos. You're so lucky to have gotten to tour the house! The immediate dining area in the entry seems weird to me too, and that curtain next to the fireplace. Looking forward to seeing the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey,

      Thanks for reading. Hope you're having a great summer. Lucky and blessed. It was the icing on the cake of our trip to see our friends that live there and to tour this house with them. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful home. Not sure about walking into the dining room as well. And, not a fan of the powder bath wallpaper. Can't wait to see the upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely against the walk in dining room. just out of place. I've seen it done in some smaller homes in PB but this one is huge...maybe the new owners will take heed and put it somewhere else. in my humble opinion that is :)

      Delete
  3. Wow what a beautiful home! I would take it in a heartbeat! I am so interested in what the master looks like. Thanks for sharing-love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tery! I know I complained about the dining room placement but seriously i'd take it in a New York minute too! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. What a beauty!! I think I drooled thru the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely a drool worthy home. i'd sit on that dock with some sweet tea every day and count my blessings out loud. :) thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. definitely a drool worthy home. i'd sit on that dock with some sweet tea every day and count my blessings out loud. :) thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks like a paradise! Who wouldn’t fall in love with that place and that house? To have experienced to go on a tour there is really a great privilege. Each and every corner of the house is perfectly designed, and the furniture are arranged meaningfully. I would want to visit that wonderful place too. Thanks for sharing that, Nancy! All the best to you!


    Benny Daniel @ Finlay Brewer

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished