Wednesday, October 29, 2014

rainbows in clouds

 
I'm not sure what it is but something is going on in the universe.
And I don't like it one bit.
Last Saturday was a long training run for the marathon.
17 miles.
I woke up feeling great.
Things that had plagued me in prior weeks had gotten better.
I got ready by 4:15 and seriously was ready to run.
We stopped around mile 8 to pick up some friends
and to replenish our water bottles.
As we started running again I had gotten a bit stiff.
Nothing unusual, just needed some distance to warm up again.
I was in the back of a long pack and the last one with me
was about to peel off for home but I still had six miles to go.
I started to sprint to catch up to my pack.
Funny little thing about where we run
is that its covered by a magnificent forest of trees.
Big trees with big roots.
My right foot caught one and rolled.
My already hurt foot (plantar fasciitis).
Dummy me kept on running.
But for only about two more miles until it was too painful.
And my peep Tarsy refused to run any more with me.
She very sweetly made me walk back to the car.
The bigger pack found us on the home stretch.
Part of them took off to get a car,
the other very kindly walked with me until the cavalry arrived
before they got the rest of their mileage in.
I love these people.
My tribe.
 
The next day during a run in the same area
another friend fell and broke her shoulder.
She's having surgery tomorrow.
Send Debbie a big fat prayer for speedy recovery if you will.
Thanking you in advance. :)
She's the hardest working woman in real estate in Houston.
I cant tell you how sweet and kind and honorable she is.
She is a just a gem
and I know it is hard for her to be down like this.
 
Last night around dinner time we all found out
that another member of our running group has cancer.
Within the last two months
she lost her father and her sister.
Both to cancer.
I sit here constantly thinking of her.
Just heavy of heart.
Like why her of all people?
Why do good people go through this
and yet evil people, well, it just seems like they get away evil.
Or is that just my perception?
I know that there are no answers really.
No rhyme or reason or explanation to have or to give.
No turning it over in my brain is going to figure it out.
It wouldn't help any way.
Whys can be a waste of time.
Now I'm just focusing on whats.
As in what I would want my peeps to do
if roles were reversed.
 
 
via more magazine
 
 
I know bad things happen to good people all the time.
The most important thing is to gather around when people are suffering.
To be on standby ready to help in any way.
To be a rainbow in the clouds.
I found this today...a chemo care package
that I'm gathering stuff together for little E. (my nickname for her).
I remembered this post from my favorite the silver pen
Any ideas or tips on how to help my peeps please leave a note.
Thanks and blessings to you.
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments :

  1. Oh Nancy! Will be praying for all. Your sweet friend with the shoulder injury will need help with her hair (my youngest had surgery awhile back from a volleyball injury), she won't be able to lift her arm for awhile and will have limited range of motion for awhile until therapy starts. Maybe offer to blow out and style her hair for her, or a gift certificate to her favorite salon? If she doesn't already have someone to help with cleaning her home, maybe offer to help or get a group together to either do it together or chip in to hire someone. And cancer...plain and simple it sucks. I know too many families going through this right now. I have to say, most just want to be treated the way they were before...they have a disease, but the disease doesn't change who they are inside!! I recently sent a care package to a daughter of a blogging friend who has Hodgkins. I included a devotional I love and marked a specific page I thought would mean a lot to her. I sent her favorite munchies. A bracelet in the color purple (the color for Hodgkins). Just knowing someone thought about her meant the word. But, above all pray! And, ask others to join you. I have been amazed by stories shared after people have been asked for prayer for friends and the beautiful response God provides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always for your sweet note. Those are brilliant suggestions!!!! I'm working on those today! {{{hugs}}}

      Delete
  2. Oh Nancy...I am so sorry to hear all these sad news. My mother always says "Trouble comes in threes." To this day, when one thing goes bad, I wait for the other shoe to drop!

    Simply LKJ gave a lot of nice tips. I was thinking about your friend and how would she do her hair. Lauren's suggestion is perfect. Pop over after the kids leave for school, do her hair and chat. I am sure she would love the help and company. I don't know if she has little ones but it's so hard to be out of commission when you are a mother. Wait...your foot! How is you foot? Are you able to get around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey tery! my friend Debbie had a successful surgery and is home now nursing her shoulder. we went to her house without her knowledge and ninja-cleaned her house so that she came home to a clean house, stocked fridge, and clean laundry. :) I drove by a place that does like wash and style blow outs...i'm thinking deb would be better off there than with my feeble attempts at hair styling. seriously I am THE worst.

      We're taking a bunch of treats over to our friend E. today to give her some special love. she has little ones and I know she wants to keep it as normal for them as possible. don't want to do anything over the top right now if that makes sense. just little things so she knows we're here and want to help.

      and my foot...i'm in a boot, trying to rest it and bring the swelling down. making progress :) I'll take it. thanks for asking.

      Delete
  3. Oh Nancy...I don't know how I missed this post. So sorry about your injury - I'm suffering from a mild case of it too. So sorry for your friend with the shoulder injury. Hope she's on the mend. And OMG -Poor little E!!! And with little ones!! I will keep her in my prayers. Hope your PF is better. I use a frozen water bottle and roll it on the ball of my foot everytime I sit down. Which is about 20 hours a day. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished