Tuesday, February 17, 2015

my plan

Some of you may know that tomorrow is the first day of Lent.
Every year as part of this season
I do a "40 bags in 40 days" project.
In my opinion the place to read all about this is the blog Clover Lane.
She talks about her process here.
It's where I first heard about it.
 
You can find pretty printables on pinterest like this one
but for me this year a plain piece of notebook paper will suffice.
On your list write down 40 areas of your home
that are cluttered or unorganized,
places that bother you or just aren't working for you and your family.
It can be a drawer, a closet, a whole room...you pick.
My friend Erin takes a blank list and writes down
the area she works on that day as time allows.
It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it.
Once you have your list to keep track
{blank or fully identified}
then every day
grab a huge garbage bag
and cleaning supplies.
Your mission?
To hit one area from the list repeating this mantra...
 

 

List: check.
Cleaning stuff: check
Trash bag: check
First I take everything out of the space I'm cleaning.
Yes, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.
Then I sort through it into one of three piles:
keep, donate or trash...

Here's where I try to be brutal...
 
Keep = I use it often and I really need it.

Donate = I don't really use it but one day I might need it.
STOP right now!
Be brutal...if I haven't used it in a year
right then and there
do not hesitate...
immediately
 put it in the big black trash bag.
No going back in the bag,
no second thoughts.
It's GONE baby GONE!
Let it help someone else.
 

Trash = I haven't used &
nobody else can use it either
based on its condition.
Put it in the trash bag unless it can be recycled.
But it too is gone baby gone!
Good riddance.

Once I'm done with the designated area
I dust, clean, and wipe down surfaces,
washing things as necessary...
then I take the bags of trash to the trash bin
and put the donate items in my car immediately.
That way I won't be tempted to go back through them.
The next time I'm out running errand
I run stuff by the nearest drop off point.
{for me its to one of two church re-sale shops close by}.

So look around your house and get your paper for the list ready.
Tomorrow morning its ON!
 
For more great tips on the 40 day challenge check out clover lane.
This quote was on her blog recently and it spoke to me...

 
 
 
My plan exactly.

 

2 comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished