Monday, June 15, 2015

summer reads

 
You might be as impressed with me as I am with myself.
Because for the first time evah
I downloaded not one, but three books off of amazon in the last week.
You know I'm a self professed technically challenged person
but it started with this book...
 
 
 
 
A friend alerted me to it and with a title like that how could I resist?
Although I am now questioning why my friend thought of me in the first place.
Hmmm.
Maybe because that particular day you could download it for free.
Yeah, let's go with that.
She didn't think I was a hot mess but rather she knows I like free stuff :)
I hope that was her reason anyway :)
 
Once I downloaded it
I was able to add the kindle reading app to my iPad.
Believe me it took a minute or two to do that
but I'm proud that I didn't have to youtube it.
Progress.
I'll take it.
After I got the mindful mom book I decided I was all big time
and decided to order a couple of others I'd been planning to buy in hardback
like Design Chic's Kristy Harvey debut novel Dear Carolina...

 
 
 
Such a great summer read.
My only regret is not getting it before our recent family getaway.
We took the boys on their first cruise.
{More on that later.}
What's so funny is that while I love to read
I barely have time to read the mountain of parenting books on my bedside.
Before the trip I had planned to go to the local bookstore
and grab one for the plane ride.
It never happened.
I told myself I'd grab one at the airport.
Didn't happen.
Oh well I thought.
No phones, no email, no book either.
I just set up camp by the pool and watched my boys
do a constant loop for the "aquaduck"
{think roller coaster with water}.
So I'm sitting there, watching the boys and I happen to notice
a lady posing for a picture.
Her husband was taking the picture.
At first I was going to offer to take their picture together.
Then I noticed she was holding a copy of the book Dear Carolina
so of course I start shouting like a crazy woman:
"Hey! I know that book!
I've been wanting to read that book!
Its by a blogger I "know"!!!"
Turns out this couple is from Kinston, NC
and they know the author Kristy Harvey!
Its a small world after all kind of moment.
I shouldn't be surprised though.
It was a Disney cruise after all.
Dear Carolina was such a fun book to read
about two strong southern women brought together
by marriage and motherhood,
their stories intertwining like wisteria vine,
blooming with each chapter.
I finished it and immediately emailed her to see if she was writing a sequel.
Please Kristy tell me you're writing a follow-up...
I need to know what happens next.
:)
 
The third book I devoured just as quickly as Dear Carolina.
It too was about strong women.
Unlike Dear Carolina though the women in Ashley's War are real.
The author Gayle Lemmon, well, I can't think of words to adequately describe
what a beautiful story she weaves about a team of women
that served alongside military special operations units in 2010.
Beautiful not because everything is picture perfect...war never is that.
Beautiful in that you're reminded that good people truly exist,
people that follow their heart,
that always try to do the right thing.
No matter what the cost.
You know how in certain movies
where you see a crowd running from something bad
and amongst this crowd
you see somebody running towards the bad thing,
that person being the hero of the story.
In Ashley's War there so many heroes.
 
 
 
I finished it days ago and I still wake up thinking about this book
and the brave men and women in our military stationed world wide,
and their families back home.
This book will definitely remind you how blessed we are
to have people willing to put their lives on the line every single day
in circumstances most of us can never imagine to be true.

How about you?
Read anything good lately?
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments :

  1. Hi Nancy! I loved Dear Carolina. Great summer read! The other two look great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! hope you and the Mr. are doing well.

      xo,
      nancy

      Delete
  2. I have a copy of Dear Carolina I need to get started on, and I can't wait because I've heard great things about it. I just finished Harrison Scott Key's book, "World's Largest Man" one of the funniest books I've read in ages. Great for Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having trouble being seen by blogger today! That "Unknown" comment was me! Leslie Anne @ Fairhope Supply Co. - weird internet #@*$!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leslie Anne! I don't know what's up with blogger lately???? I've had technical issues too. Crazy.

      Delete
  4. Yaaaayyy! Thank you so much for including Dear Carolina in this wonderful list! I am so flattered by your kind words. And I LOVE this story. Love it. Those friends emailed me too. Such a small world! Much love to you!! xo Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished