Tuesday, December 8, 2015

taking a chance


So yesterday I did something kind of dumb.
But I'd probably do it again in a heart beat.
I was running errands, checking things off my list.
Getting.
It.
Done.
I left one store and was walking to my car.
Not really paying attention to anything
but my next destination and how quickly could I do it
because school pickup time was approaching.
One more errand to squeeze in before then would be golden.
I hear this little "excuse me" and turn to see an elderly woman.
She said "I don't know what to do. Will you help me?"
Now if you know me you'll know that I kind of don't trust people.
I admit fully that I used to watch too many
48 hours 20/20 Nancy Grace "who done it" kind of shows.
I had to ban these types of shows altogether 
because I would get sucked in
like watching a bad train wreck.
Some things you just cant turn away from.
Once I start watching
I'd have to watch until the bitter end
to see who done it.
And it never ends well does it?
So then I'd be awake all night.
I have sleep problems as it is without tv shows.
So when this lady approached me yesterday
I almost, al-most said no.
The thought that maybe she had a little gun in her jacket ran through my head.
I should probably stop reading the paper too.
Paranoia destroy ya.
Right?
So I took a chance.
Of course I will help you.
What do you need?
She told me about how she'd been chatting on her phone,
got distracted and left her keys in the car.
If I told you it was a Hummer I know you wouldn't believe me.
I'm telling you - this lady I bet is a complete hoot to know as a person.
I can't make this stuff up.
She said she lived near the shopping center,
two miles away,
could I take her home to get her spare key?
Ok.
So at this point I'm debating.
Like if I let her in my car and she does have a gun
what to do then?
Because by this point I'm in.
Brilliant me decides I'll roll down my window.
I'll scream like a banshee and wave my arms out the window.
That'll work right?
As if that wasn't a good enough deterrent from harm
I look down and see my antibacterial spray.
Then I took the cap off the little bottle
so that when she pulls said imaginary gun
I'll blind her with my antibacterial spray.
Good plan right?
Yeah not so much.
But at least I was thinking of alternatives right?
The thought also occurred to me that maybe I should call my husband to tell him.
Nope.
No can do.
He'll tell me not to do it.
I think it will be ok.
Gulp.
So I let her in my car and she says let me call my husband
and tell him to get my other key ready.
Because I told her I had to get my kids in thirty minutes.
So she calls him and it was the funniest back and forth...
I'm sure that was a little peek into my future
when I'm old and gray.
Well, older because let's face it,
under a bunch of hair dye I slap on every two weeks
I'm 70% gray now.
So she's saying to him get the key
and he's like where are you?
I can't come get you.
Why do you want the key?
And she's a little embarrassed by him not understanding.
She's looking at me.
She says he's 87, he cant really hear.
I'm trying to pretend I don't hear
but she knows that I do because its on speaker.
I just look at her like its ok, no worries, have you home in a jiffy.
Then her phone gets another call.
This new caller is like where are?
How are you in a car?
I thought you locked your keys in the car
?
She shushes them and says to them
I'll call you later, we're in a hurry.
We roll up to their building.
She says I'll be right back.
I'll be right here I tell her.
I kind of got the feeling that maybe she didn't believe me.
But there's no way I wasn't completing my mission.
I called my peep Laura and said look.
This is what I'm doing.
If I disappear today come look for my car around here.
Again...I watch too much reality crime tv.
So Laura thinks I'm nuts but I'm just happy
someone knows where I am.
Besides my new friend.
She comes back to the car with the doorman from her building.
He helps her in and says thank you for being her angel today.
:)
She's very worried now that she's taken too long
and that I'm going to be late to get my kids from school.
No, no, I try to reassure her.
We've got plenty of time to get back to your car
and then for me to run and get them.
No problemo.
She says that it was her granddaughter who had called.
Her granddaughter told her to tell me
that I shouldn't have done what I did in letting her in my car.
and she herself had already told me the same thing.
I said I know.
But sometimes you gotta take a chance.
Listen to your heart and to your God whispers
but take a chance on somebody.
I had hesitated but I told her she had a good aura about her.
She just smiled.
She kept saying she was so grateful
because she hadn't known what to do or who to call to help her.
She said that her husband was sick and couldn't drive.
Cancer.
I want you to know that I am rarely if ever in that shopping center.
Today I went there by fluke at that time.
I literally had meant to go to the grocery across the street.
But my husband had mentioned something he wanted
to get over the weekend but didn't have time.
I decided as I went through the intersection to go right instead of left.
I told her that I knew,
just knew
that God had put me there to help her that day,
just when she needed it.
She said you believe in God?
Yes ma'am I do.
I've seen too many things in my life to doubt God's existence.
She said I believe in Him too.
And she started to cry.
She said I know you've already done me a favor today
but I'd like to ask you another one,
a bigger one,
one that means more to me than the one you just did.
Will you pray for my husband?
For his complete healing?
He's my better half.
His name is Jay.
I assured her that I would.
I did.
I will continue to.
I wish I could share her beautiful name with you
but its quite unusual and it comes up on a search of just hers and his first name.
I told you I watched too much crime tv right?
I share this story today to ask that,
if you're the praying type,
if you remember,
could you say a prayer for Jay and his wife too?
I believe in miracles.
I hope you do too.



8 comments :

  1. Lovely story, thank you for sharing. Something similar happened to me recently, I wound up driving a legally blind young african american man to his dr. appt. He was in a restaurant asking for directions, he had already taken 2 buses and would have had to walk (with his cane) 2 more miles down a busy street with no sidewalks. Like you, I hesitated, but then said, come on, I'll give you a ride. He was grateful and I felt happy to have helped. Sometimes God asks you to do something, and you need to listen. Have a great day! C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this story! I love it! the world is a better place because of people like you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Kelly Nichols how the heck are you? I hope you know how much we miss you. Hope your sweet new state is treating you well!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're so sweet! I would appreciate it. I hope your son is doing well :)

      Delete
  4. I just happened to open your blog today and loved this story! I'm going to pray for her husband also, and thank God for people like you also - and also ask God to bless you even tho you didn't get to see your parents this holiday! Read that post also and admired how you worked through those feelings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeannie, I don't know how you found my blog but happy that you did :) Thanks for your kind words and for sweet prayers.

      Blessings to you,
      Nancy

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished