Thursday, May 5, 2016

house in the 'hood

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary.
Fourteen years.
:)
It hasn't always been easy but it has definitely been worth it.
My husband is a gem, a treasure and honestly is better than I deserve.
In the spirit of gratitude and blessings of marriage and couple hood
I'm going to do a special house in the 'hood today...
a two for Thursday ;)
as in not one but two house in the 'hoods...


Under the category "same, same but different" 
these two homes were the same builder
with seemingly the same footprint and layout
but slightly different fixtures.
Let's start with this lovely...


Isn't it charming?
It's still available by the way...just saying ;)

Both of these homes have front loading garages.
As you walk in you find a large formal living room {or office}
open to a spacious dining room.
My eyes may be bad but I can barely make out pocket doors
to give privacy between the rooms when needed.



Here a better view of each room...





Down the entry hall you enter into a Texas sized family room....


You can see the mudroom tucked into the back left corner.


The view back into the kitchen...



It may seem basic to some but I personally love the simplicity of the kitchen.
Marble counter tops, farmhouse sink, silver pendant lights and pulls.
All beautiful basics and I love the way they broke up the subway tile back splash
with just a hint of herringbone..

The appliances are all Thermador and lighting by Visual Comfort.


A lovely butlers pantry with wine fridge...




I'd be willing to bet this connects to the dining room.
On the opposite side of the house

{behind the stairwell}
is the mudroom that leads into the garage...


A nicely appointed powder room is also located downstairs...

Upstairs you'll find four bedrooms and three baths
including a generous sized master bath...


lots of neat built-ins in the master closet...


as well as an area on the top of the landing with built-ins 
perfect for a second living room area...


The secondary bathrooms are again simple but lovely
with visual interest created by the subway tile pattern in the shower...


repeatedly similarly in the Jack and Jill bath shared by two secondary bedrooms...


and a nicely appointed laundry room.
{could use some wallpaper don't you think Rena? ;)} 


The facade of the second house is definitely different 
but every bit appealing in my humble opinion...


The view down the entrance hall reveals the same floor plan,
slightly different finishing touches.
Slightly darker floors, lighter walls...


Visual Comfort lighting throughout.
You can definitely see the pocket door tucked away between
the dining room and the front study/living room
and see that the butlers pantry connects from the kitchen...



The kitchen is again same, same, but different...
the same pendant lights but 
darker counter tops
{It looks to me to be soapstone.}.
I prefer the lantern here in the breakfast area.
Just saying ;)


Same view into the family room...









A better view into the front of the house from the butler's pantry.
The door to the right is most like a food pantry...


or it could be the powder room
but in most houses in this 'hood
its located off the main entrance hall...
either way this one is simple but chic...


as are the other bathrooms upstairs...


I have to say I'm a fan of the marble in these bathrooms
over the darker ones in the first house...


The secondary bedrooms are a great size 
and I like the shutters that are already installed...
very nice indeed...


I would definitely add a sofa and table up here for the kiddos to hang out...


I would hang out in the master bedroom to chill with no problems at all...


No, wait.
I'd be here in the little jewel box that is the master bath...








Actually I won't be able to as this house sold earlier this spring.
Happy for the new owners
and happy to get more ideas for when
{not if} we build.
I feel it in my bones y'all.
;)

Lastly I'll leave you with this and I hope you'll indulge me if you're so moved to.
I was graciously invited to attend a fundraising luncheon today for a project 
near and dear to my friend Allison called Faith in Practice.
You may remember her as my peep who wondered
who on earth would wallpaper their laundry room 
but she is also the woman who inspired me
to learn how to swim at the ripe age of 41 
then encouraged me to do my first triathlon soon after.
I don't think she'd like me shouting her praises,
 that's not like her at all,
 but since that's how I roll
let's do it anyway :)
Allison is an incredible person with a huge, generous heart.
She performs life changing orthopedic surgery every day here in Houston
but she also makes time in her busy schedule every year to travel with Faith in Practice

From their website...

Faith In Practice is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian organization that seeks to improve the physical, spiritual, and economic conditions of the poor in Guatemala through short-term surgical, medical and dental mission trips and health-related educational programs.
The majority of the Guatemalan population lives in extreme poverty
with virtually no medical care.
Since our volunteers are asked to pay the majority of their own trip expenses, donations fund our programs' administrative costs. These costs include the purchase of medicines, equipment, transportation, tests and housing for our patients, shipping and crating, 
and general administrative expenses.

That's right. Every year, throughout the year, teams of volunteers travel to Guatemalausing their own vacation time, spending their own money for their travel expenses.


If you have some time I humbly ask that you click over to their website
and take a look around.
They need volunteers and donations, big and small.
No pressure...just a thought from the bottom of my grateful heart.


all images via har.com 





6 comments :

  1. Happy Anniversary Nancy! Congrats on 14 years...:)
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures.
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie for both your kind words and for stopping by the blog :)

      Delete
  2. WHy on earth cant the homes in New Jersey look as sharp as that one!! well my husband always wanted to live down south I think I could be persuaded with that charmer!! I am heading over to help out for charity!! xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! come on down! we'd love to have you :) and thanks for checking out Faith in Practice. It truly is doing amazing work in Guatemala.

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary...those homes are so perfectly move in enticing! I'd like to give Allison a small donation....is her page Allison Wilson...or just do a general one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so kind Mary Ann. I sent you an email...hope you had a happy Mother's Day yesterday.

      xoxo,
      nancy

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished