Sunday, September 11, 2016

forgetting is not an option

You probably did the same thing I did this morning.
I started remembering where I was,
fifteen Septembers ago.
Where were you when the world stopped turning?
My heart seized at the mere thought.



I arrived at work around 5 am that September 11.
By nine my reactions were cooking away.
I was writing observations down in a notebook
when a secretary from down the hall
came into my lab.
She said a plane crashed into one of the towers.
I remember her saying the news was reporting 
someone flew a little plane in by accident.
 Little did we know.
I stayed in my lab, my little bubble,
not realizing that the world as we knew it was in a tailspin.
 Soon somebody else came in and said shut everything down.
I balked. 
I was hours into the reaction and it would be a waste.
The powers that be said no one could continue to work.
No more reactions, a complete shut down.
There'd been another plane.
They didn't want anyone getting upset and then getting hurt.
The lab shut down. 
That never happened.
Not before or since.
I remember getting my best girlfriend from her lab.
Both of us were in a daze.
We grabbed our hardhats and went outside to the pilot plant...
{basically a big lab where you scale up reactions 
before going to the big plant reactors}.
It was a tiny office,
usually three, maybe four people inside max.
It also had a television.
When we got there it was packed with thirty or so people.
Standing room only.
Everyone stunned into silence.
I remember watching the towers fall on tv.
I turned to one of the guys and said
 "Did I really just see that?
 Did they really just fall?"
No one could believe their eyes.

I remember the days that followed.
Everyone was so nice to each other.
People driving were so courteous.
People on the street were polite.
People were eager to give, to help, to be kind.

always in a southern state of mind blog


It took something so evil to make 
everyone act the way they should. 
I wish everyone could remember that spirit of brothers in arms.
America needs to remember that feeling.
Our country needs that now more than ever.


I hope this day finds those who lost loved ones  
with comfort for their grief and I pray
 peace for their hearts.

My life did change that day though.
My husband and I were just dating at the time.
Cross country dating.
We both knew though.
That we each were THE ONE for the other.
I quit my job three days later,
packed what I could, 
sold or stored what I couldn't,
 and moved a thousand miles away.
Lesson learned.
Life was too short to waste.
Three years to the day after I gave my resignation
I gave birth to our twin baby boys.
Yes, life goes on 
but 
forgetting is not an option.




1 comment :

  1. Just found you, came from Katie's blog Preppy Empty Nester. After your Chico's intro, I'll be back---it was very funny!
    Thank you for this touching story of your 911 day. Nicely done and as one who lost a family member on that dark day, I appreciate it.
    You're right, forgetting is not an option.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished