Friday, October 28, 2016

Round Top round up

In a post that falls under the "better late than never" category
herewith is the pictorial story of our fall trip to Round Top...

always in a southern state of mind






If you've never been to Round Top, Texas
this picture will give you a clue as to where it is...

always in a southern state of mind

smack dab in the middle of the Texas countryside.
It is beautiful but be warned...
middle of nowhere = horrible phone service
Tip #1: always, always, always bring a car phone charger
I even go so far as to switch my phone on airplane mode
then at the top of the hour, assuming I remember,
I switch it back and call to check on the kids
and see if any texts are urgent.
You and your phone will thank me.

We did things a little differently this year.
By accident.
We usually go en masse, about 10 or so ladies.
This year we got our dates messed up.
Everyone had it on their calendar for the week of October 2.
Yeah, that would be after this year's show closed.
Long story short I ended up going two days in a row.
This was how our first day started...


always in a southern state of mind

Yep.
That sums up about a third of what you'll find in Round Top.
Dead peoples stuff.

On a lighter note we made our way quickly to this tent...

always in a southern state of mind

Love this faux orchid arrangement.
Probably should spring for one since I have a black thumb for the real deal.
Ha.

The Georgia girl in me had to take a picture of this new to me store...

always in a southern state of mind

and don't think we didn't ask if we could buy one of these bad boys...

always in a southern state of mind

Sadly they weren't for sale.
Decoration purposes only.
That reminds me to search on amazon for one...
I'm thinking a mini one for my car.
Thoughts??

I'm constantly looking out for people while I'm shopping.
Whether its in Round Top or not.
I spotted these LSU rocking chairs and texted my Cajun friend.
Sold.
Times two.
Which is why I had to roll back the next day.
My friend Lisa drove her little coupe that day.

always in a southern state of mind

My sweet friend Angela rolled back with me on Saturday 
to pick these suckers up and boy, am I glad I've got a monster car.
Once we bought these we were practically running through RT.
We left right after school drop off 
and had to be back for pickup...
its roughly three hours round trip 
so to save time we brought food with us 
and ate in the car on the return trip.
Which leads me to tip #2...
bring sustenance...there's no fast food around.
I bought fresh prepackaged lunches at Whole Foods the day before
then also brought a cooler of waters, Kind Bars, and bags of nuts.
There is Royers {delicious} and another place I can't remember the name of
but there's always a line so if you're pushed for time like we were,
bring your own.
You and your stomach will thank me.

Back to the thrill of the hunt...

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

turtle alert...

always in a southern state of mind


This is the only thing I regret not getting...

always in a southern state of mind

 bamboo desk with campaign accents.
$125
Best deal I saw all day.
But I couldn't figure out where I would put it.
Mental note: who cares.
Figure it out later.
Ugh.
Kicking.
My.
Self.

I forget the name of these but they go in a fireplace
and you put the logs on them...
whatever the name is, I like these...too cool for school...

always in a southern state of mind

 I found big door heaven in case you're interested...

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

In case you need the deets...

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind


Tery...this one's for you...

always in a southern state of mind

You need to do an oyster shelf in your etsy shop.
Stat!

These pics are from Blue Hills...

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

How you know you're in Texas...

always in a southern state of mind

Another turtle alert...
you remember my huge turtle shell find right?

always in a southern state of mind

Well...the number one thing I wanted to buy this trip
was a couple of turtle shells to go on either side 
in my son's room... and I did earlier in the day
from a guy my friend Lisa now refers to as 
"Mountain Man" because he reminded us both of one of those reality shows
where they live off the land in Alaska and other hard to reach terrain.
Nice guy, just uh, some of the stuff he was selling had been freshly caught
and uh, maybe had fur etc still on it.
Which is why she stood back and pointed from afar
as I dug in to the shells and looked for "clean" ones.
I picked out six of those then promptly saw two much bigger ones
and swapped out six for two...
sometimes less is more right?
Anywho...the only reason I bring this up 
is to point out I'm pretty sure this below is the real deal...

always in a southern state of mind



always in a southern state of mind

Sorry for the shakes but you see the green chippy goodness I'm sure...

always in a southern state of mind

and just know that windmills...parts or whole
were EVERYWHERE...

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

My favorite stop at Blue Hills...
catching up with Carol Gregg of red egg 

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

there's my chair...

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

If you're looking for furniture that's hip, modern Asian with a twist
check out red egg's website or stop by Blue Hills.

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

Loving this new version of a Southern telephone bench...

always in a southern state of mind

back in the day you'd put the telephone on the little table part to the right
and sit there and chat, putting your handbag or in my Grannie's house
she'd put her phone books in the little basket spot on the left.
Anyone else remember these?

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

We spent the five minutes we had before we left chatting with Carol
before we sped back for carpool pick-up.
Happy we made the effort...she is such a doll.
My friend Angela was a doll the next day
when she agreed to ride shotgun back to Round Top 
to wedge those rocking chairs in my car.
Of course we may have stopped on the way back at a few places.
I don't know the name of this set of shops 
but its past Round Top proper on the left as you head back to Houston....
we rolled in and my radar led me to this shop...

always in a southern state of mind

where the shop owner kind of...not sure of the word here...got ugly with us?
I asked her how much for the lamp.
There was no price tag you see.
She said $150.
"My husband just did the electrical on it this morning." 
Angela and I just looked at the duct tape on the wires and looked at each other.
I said thanks, I'll look around.
Then she's got kind of aggressive when she said
 "usually when people say that they just want me to leave them alone."
You think?
She proceeded..."well how much would you like to pay for it?"
I said, no, no, I'm not asking you to lower your price.
I don't need it.
I just collect double happiness so I WANT every piece I see.
But I don't NEED it you see.
I have two lamps already.
Thinking that was it.
But she kept pressing.
So I said...well, I'd like it at $75 but I'd love it at $40.
But I'm not asking you to do that.
You could tell it was the last day of the show
and she was probably tired and just wanted to go home.
But she went for me again, 
telling me how much she wasn't going to make at that price.
Angela put her hand on my arm and said "uh, its time to go."
We got the heck out of dodge and Angela was like
"Who's going to pay $150 for a lamp with janky wiring?"
Not us.
But I wish that lady well and hope she got some rest.

I did see some fun stuff around the corner like this old oven...

always in a southern state of mind

and of course I had to stop to see these pillows...

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

 #pillowhoarder

always in a southern state of mind

Remind me to tell you the story about an old telephone I had...

always in a southern state of mind

just like this but I scored it for $20
and just found it a loving home.


always in a southern state of mind

This next set is from the Arbors...
fantastic for rugs and art but its not cheap...
just saying...

always in a southern state of mind

this rug vendor was da bomb but he was literally packing as we arrived.

always in a southern state of mind

I took some quick picks for a friend who was looking for a neutral rug with pops of cobalt...

always in a southern state of mind

Like I said, cell phone reception sucks there
so we never could quite make a deal for her.
Next time maybe. 

We ended up walking across the street to this place...
the name slips my mind but I posted about it last time...
Paul...something...sorry my mind is a sieve.
It will come to me and I'll update it...
either way enjoy...

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

geodes were big too...
good for my friend Rena who loves them...

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

Never met a piece of green chippy furniture I didn't want to buy...

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind

always in a southern state of mind


always in a southern state of mind


 Alhtough there was a lot of inspiration
nothing really jumped out at us so we wandered around
then back to the Arbors
where we found this...


always in a southern state of mind

Yes.
Please.

in the Mela & Roam tent...

always in a southern state of mind

Her tent was packed so we wandered next door to buy a delicious hand made candle
from a woman named Bella from Dallas.
Will see if she has a website and post it.
I bought one from her at Dash and its heavenly.

Sadly we both needed to get back since it was a Saturday.
A few parting shots to remind me where to go next time...

always in a southern state of mind

to look at the art...

always in a southern state of mind

 Because you know I'll be there in the spring.
God willing.
Ok y'all.
Have a great weekend.
Whatever you do, do it with joy.


5 comments :

  1. I will get there someday...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nancy I so can't wait to get back there! Thanks for the roundup. It looked like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Four-Inch-Disco-Mirror-Ball/dp/B00JX3U9L0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477759660&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+disco+ball you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading your post. I missed RT this Fall, I never miss it! But the Spring show will be here before we know it. Your story about the lamp is funny - I had a similar experience with a vendor at the Arbor a few years ago. No lady, your lamp wasn't a rare lamp - it was Aidan Gray. Looking at your pictures I was trying to figure out where the vendor/tent was. Thanks for making those notes on your post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished